June Home Maintenance & Hurricane Season Preparedness
Hurricane season is June 1 – November 30
When it comes to preparing for Hurricane Season, there are a number of home maintenance items that need to be considered and many decisions that must be made. These steps can help you feel prepared this year:
- Trim any trees that overhang the roof and any dead branches on all trees, at the beginning of the season
- Clean debris from roof valleys, gutters, or downspouts. Ensure water can flow.
- Be sure any storm drains on the street are cleaned out.
- You can fill your own sandbags under the Palm Valley bridge in Ponte Vedra Beach. Take a shovel and sandbags (buy them early, they may run out).
- Secure or bring in all outdoor furniture & loose items to prevent flying debris.
- Protect windows with storm shutters (many newer homes windows can withstand 180 mph winds).
- Choose a safe interior room with no windows, if you have small children, run through a drill and have your comfort items there in advance.
- Reinforce garage doors, they are the most vulnerable to wind damage.
- If evacuating, turn off power, water, & gas & plan multiple evacuation routes.
- Test your generator before the storm to be sure it can handle the load you plan to put on it (refrigerator, radio, power strips, fans, phones, etc.).
Tips Before & During a Storm:
- Keep your vehicle gas tank half full during storm season
- Keep small denominations of cash on hand
- Fill your bathtubs with water. Use a bucket to flush the toilets.
- Download our Hurricane Preparedness Checklist
Important Websites: JEA: www.jea.com/outage_center/storm_center/
FPL: www.fpl.com/storm/home/links or call 1-800-4-OUTAGE (1-800-468-8243)
St. Johns County Emergency Management: www.sjcemergencymanagement.org
Want more? If you would like more ideas on how to prepare for a hurricane, download our free Hurricane Preparedness Checklist as a guide so you don’t miss a step during the season, or when impact is immanent.
Keeping up maintenance on your home is the best way to keep the value of your biggest investment. We put these lists together monthly based on what we see in the real estate market and home inspections. Taking time to do these things each month can keep you from feeling overwhelmed when you think of selling, and give you peace of mind.