The weather is warming up, let’s focus May Home Maintenance on the outside of your home and making sure all of your systems are keeping you cool and dry. These five things are recommended in May:
- Pressure wash your house and driveway. Be careful around windows, too much pressure can break the seal of double-payne windows and lead to “fogged” glass. We recommend washing your windows separately on a cloudy day so you can see streaks.
- Fertilize your lawn and set your irrigation system. Check all of your sprinkler zones to be sure your entire lawn is getting coverage and you have no leaks.
- Outside Inspection: Walk around the outside of your house and do a visual inspection of paint, cracks in stucco and foundation. Check gutter downspouts to be sure water is running 4-6 feet away from your foundation. Be sure all hedges are six inches away from your house to deter pests from entering your home. Clean outdoor light fixtures and replace with LED bulbs to save on electricity.
- HVAC: Change your air conditioner filter (recommended monthly in areas where construction is nearby, especially). Pour 1/2 cup of bleach or vinegar in the condensate line to avoid buildup. Vacuum and dust all ceiling vents in each room and air returns. Schedule your annual A/C service appointment.
- Plumbing: Check for leaks in supply lines to all sinks and toilets.
Want to do more? Here are some other items we recommend seasonally and monthly:
- Closets: box the boots and put away winter wardrobe (seasonally)
- Trash cans: bleach outside trash cans and recycle bins, disinfect inside trash cans (monthly)
- Garbage disposal: run baking soda and citrus fruit rinds through the disposal to freshen the lines and crushed ice to sharpen the blades (monthly)
Keeping up maintenance on your home is the best way to keep the value of your biggest investment. We put these lists together monthly based on what we see in the real estate market and home inspections. Taking time to do these things each month can keep you from feeling overwhelmed when you think of selling, and give you peace of mind.