Was your home hibernating this winter? Spring is a great time to get your home ready for summer, so when it comes time to break out the hamburgers and hot dogs, your house becomes one less thing to worry about.
Wash your home’s exterior: Depending on the siding you have, power-washing can potentially do harm. In most cases, a garden hose and a cleaning wand attachment is all you need. Remember to tarp your plants and shrubs!
- Clean your deck or patio: After cleaning a wooden deck, remember to treat the wood, stain and seal it once everything is dry. Most patio furniture can be freshened up with an all-purpose cleaner. On furniture cushions, you can use soap, water and a soft bristle brush.
- Tend the garden: Lay down mulch to protect your plants from a drought, boost their growth and give a finished
look to your yard.
- Air out your home’s interior: Open all the windows and run the air conditioning on low to rid your home of any winter mustiness.
- Swap out wintery decor: Swap out your dark linens for a lighter look. Make the inside of your home look and feel like it’s ready for summer!
- Add a fresh coat of paint: Notice any chipping or peeling exterior paint? Consider a touch-up. If you hire a professional, you’ll want the work done in the spring so it’s ready by mid-summer.
Want to do more? Here are some other items we recommend seasonally and monthly:
- Closets: box the boots and put away winter wardrobe (seasonally)
- Trash cans: bleach outside trash cans and recycle bins, disinfect inside trash cans (monthly)
- Garbage disposal: run baking soda and citrus fruit rinds through the disposal to freshen the lines and crushed ice to sharpen the blades (monthly)
Keeping up maintenance on your home is the best way to keep the value of your biggest investment. We put these lists together monthly based on what we see in the real estate market and home inspections. Our website has more things you can do in and around your home each month to keep the value of your biggest investment. Taking time to do these things each month can keep you from feeling overwhelmed when you think of selling, and give you peace of mind.
As you work your way down the list, remember, we have an extensive network of contractors, landscapers, HVAC professionals, etc. If you need backup for anything, give us a call. We’re happy to refer you to a professional we recommend!
Oh, by the way… if you know of someone who would appreciate the level of service we provide, please call us with their name and contact information. We’ll be happy to follow up and take great care of them.