October Home Maintenance
Happy Fall! We’re sure you’re pulling out all of your Fall decor for the season and want to give you some tips to prepare for the cooler temperatures ahead of us for October Home Maintenance.
Here are three things you can do in October:
- Windows & Doors: Save up to 20% on heating and cooling costs by ensuring that you’ve got proper sealing and insulation. Check for drafts coming from windows & doors by looking closely at their frames for any cracks, or running your hand along the frame to feel for cool air coming in. Seal any you may find with caulking, weather stripping, or door sweeps to prevent drafts.
- Lawn Equipment: You can do preventative maintenance on your lawn mowing equipment. At the end of the mowing season, make sure that your drain the gas out of your lawn mower, weed eater, etc. Also, check to see if you need to replace the oil and spark plugs. Clean the blades and underside of the mowing equipment, disconnecting spark plug before you do so. Now is a good time to sharpen the blades before next season.
- Fireplace & Chimney: Clear and clean your fireplace before lighting the first fire of the season, Reduce fire hazards by hiring professionals to check and clean your chimney. Be sure to have them check that the damper closes tightly to prevent drafts.
It’s Fall, Ya’ll! Check out our Pinterest Board “Home Decorating for Every Occasion” for seasonal home decor ideas. Pinterest.com/DoakesTeam
Want to do more? Here are some other items we recommend monthly:
- Trash cans: bleach outside trash cans and recycle bins, disinfect inside trash cans (monthly)
- Garbage disposal: run baking soda and citrus fruit rinds through the disposal to freshen the lines and crushed ice to sharpen the blades (monthly)
Keeping up maintenance on your home is the best way to keep the value of your biggest investment. We put these lists together monthly based on what we see in the real estate market and home inspections. Taking time to do these things each month can keep you from feeling overwhelmed when you think of selling, and give you peace of mind.